;

Back to the past with Becak

This three wheeler shown in the picture is one of the oldest transportation means in , not only Bogor but Indonesia . It is called Becak . Many foreigners still call them as Rickshaw but actually both are different . If in the rickshaw the driver drags the cart , the position of the driver is in front of the passengers , in becak the driver hauls the cart by riding it .

People in Indonesia have known this type of transportation along time ago , back to early of 20th century . There are many versions about when  becak entered Indonesia but many believe that becak was brought to Indonesia by Japanese when they occupied this country in 1942-1945 .

Although they are no longer Bogorian main transportation mean , they have not been vanished yet . We still can find many becaks in Bogor because it's not , yet , prohibited like in Jakarta .

However the Bogor government has limited the operation area that can be covered by this three wheeler . They are prohibited to enter the main streets like Pajajaran street , Sudirman street and some others . However you can find it in the intersection between the main streets and arterial roads or housing complex streets .

Becak still exists in Bogor due to two reasons i.e

a) angkot trajectories don't include housing complexes , so it will only bring passengers until the foreground of the complexes

b) it offers enough space to transport a passenger and their luggage . That is why many becak stay near 'Pasar Anyar' (one of the market in Bogor) because usually people who comes to this market will need a transportation to carry their luggage

And.. the b) was the reason for me taking a becak last month with my wife . It'd been quite a long time since I used becak . It was back in 2004 when we got an accident due to brake failure . I still remembered eventually the becak hit the car in front of us and tumbled . Luckily , my sister and I got many bruises but not serious ones. However at that time , the urge to experience again the feeling of old days , I convinced my wife to take a becak to bring us . She was quite reluctant about the idea but finally agreed .

It was quite a trip . With luggages on my lap and both of us in the cart , becak was 'felt' to be smaller (we forgot that we gained a bit more weight recently) . Bogor is a town on the foot of mount Salak and the contour of the roads have many ups and downs . Moreover , the becak had to compete with cars , motorcycles during the trip . What made it more frightening , the driver was already quite old . There was a worry that he might not have enough strength to control his becak .

My wife looked nervous all the time during the trip , especially when we had to go across the railway crossings full of other vehicles . It looked like riding a roller coaster .. scary but exciting and funny at the same time . Fortunately , this time with no accident and we arrived home safely . It was quite a nice experience and I was taken back to my childhood for few moments .

Inevitable , it is what my mind said about becak existence in Bogor . Becak may , someday disappear from Bogor . It is too slow to be up with the speed required by modern people and life . It is something that can not be avoided considering it was designed almost a century ago . But .. probably before its time comes , I can try few more rides with this traditional vehicle ... Do you want to join me ? 
Share on Google Plus

About Anton Ardyanto

Terima kasih untuk berkenan membaca tulisan ini. Saya berharap ada yang dapat diambil dan dimanfaatkan dari tulisan ini. Kalau anda berkenan mohon luangkan waktu berharga anda sedikit lagi untuk memberikan sesuatu. Saran, masukan atau kritik akan sangat berharga bagi saya. Apalagi kalau anda berkenan share tulisan dari blog ini kepada yang lain.

Thank you for your time to read my writings. It means a lot to me. I really hope that there is something that you, the reader can take from my writing. I would be honored if you can spare a bit more of your precious time to let me have your comments or even your critics. I would be more than grateful if you can share something from this blog to other people.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. We also have a similar one 'round here but the driver is in the side not at the back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how do you call it ? can you share me the photo ..? really would like to know

      Delete